Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Creatively Maladjusted

Human Salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted. – Martin Luther King Jr.


I feel like this is a good thing. “Creatively Maladjusted” I want to wear it on a T-shirt, tattoo it on my chest. If creative people were the same as everyone else, who would not be afraid to speak the truth? Who would poke at our leaders and rally the people?

=>Creative: adj. org. 1670-80

1. Having the ability or power to create: Human beings are creative animals.

2. Resulting from originality of thought or expression.

3. Facetious. Using or creating exaggerated or skewed ideas.

=>Maladjusted: adj. org. 1880-85

1. Poorly adjusted: badly or unsatisfactorily adjusted, esp. in relationship to one’s social circumstances or environment.

2. Inadequately adjusted to the demands or stresses of daily living.

I remember the first time I saw a button that said, “Why Be Normal?” I immediately wanted one. What a question?! Why be normal? I don’t know. I’ve since learned that it makes others feel more comfortable. But it usually makes me feel less comfortable. If acting normal is a way that fits in with many people’s expectations of how you should behave? Who made up the rules of what’s normal? I think it came on slowly when more and more people began to feel uneasy with others not fitting their own prescribed actions. Of course there is always a church of some kind involved. That kind of restriction is choking our society. If using my mind in ways others don’t is ABNORMAL then that’s cool with me. I see myself as an Artist and have as long as I can remember. Art is the minds grease. The world needs it.

There have not been many weeks in my life where someone didn’t elude or just flat out say that I was different or not normal. I embraced it first, then I fought it and then I embraced it again. Look its hard enough being here on this planet without freaking out most of the humans I meet. I save it for the like minded “Creatively Maladjusted” souls I meet long the way. Hey if you’re feeling odd and abnormal. Check in with me. I found a few places where the Maladjusted come together.

Oh and please remember

Why Be Normal?


10/23/05

05/27/09

No comments:

Post a Comment